November 13, 2014

Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup

This past year my family joined a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm where every week we would go to the farm and collect our share of whatever vegetables were ripe that week. We had so much fun doing this. Now that fall is here the harvest was bountiful and we received a lot of squash. This led me to comb the internet in search of a great squash soup recipe, and this is what I found (slightly altered to fit our tastes.)



Ingredients needed:
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 apples (any flavor)
- 1 medium to large onion
- 2-3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- salt and pepper to taste



First cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. 



Then peel and chop the squash, apple, potatoes and onion into 1 inch chunks and place in a crockpot.



Add 2-3 cups of broth to the crockpot. Then cook on low for 6 hours.



After 6 hours, add salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice. Use a hand blender to blend and puree the soup. 



Enjoy! 


This recipe was featured on a local TV show called EightWest, to view the segment click here.

To purchase the Thirty One products mentioned in the segment go here.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful sounding recipe. Any idea as to how many cups squash for this recipe and about how many servings? Saw you on Eight West today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I don't know exactly how many cups of squash. I used a whole butternut squash, I would guess it's about 3-4 cups worth.

      As for servings, I used a 4.5 quart crockpot, I would estimate that it would be around 18 1 cup servings. It's surprising how filling this soup is.

      If you try it, I'd love to know what you think.

      Delete